Senior Alexis Slater’s Plans For After High School

Senior+Alexis+Slater+pitching+in+Mariner+varsity+fastpitch+game+

Senior Alexis Slater pitching in Mariner varsity fastpitch game

Sammie Bruton she/her 10th grade, Advertising Manager

With the school year coming to an end and the class of 2022 graduating, seniors are starting to make decisions about their next steps in life. Whether that be committing to a college, going to trade school, taking a gap year, going into a work environment, and much more. Seniors are making a big choice for their plans after high school which greatly impacts them.

Senior Alexis Slater has committed to Western Washington University and is majoring in biology. She will also continue her softball career at Western. She is currently on Mariner’s softball team and was named the PSW Russel & Hill Female Student-Athlete of the Month of March 2022 and Herald Spring Athlete of the year 2021. Playing college softball has always been a goal for her since she was younger, no matter what level it was at.

“The softball team and coaches are the sweetest people I’ve ever met, making this decision even easier for me,” said Slater.

Western Washington has a beautiful campus located in Bellingham. Slater will spend her last Summer here before moving into the dorms in September. She committed at the end of her junior year, which means she was looking into Western most of her junior year.

“Bellingham is a pretty town, I love all the trees that surround the campus and the hiking trails that are near in distance,” said Slater.

Slater plans on being a crime scene investigator after college. She will major in one of the natural sciences and then start up an internship in her junior or senior year so she can have experience in the work field. Slater didn’t want to go to a large school and believed that Western’s “a perfect size…and the classes won’t be jammed packed with students but it also won’t be empty.” Western has a strong biology program that Slater is the perfect fit for.

“I like to be pushed and this will allow me to strive to become a better version of myself; whether it is physically or mentally,” said Slater.