The Reality of Our Mascot, The Killer Whale

An Informative on Splash

Raquel Renander

A picture of our mascot with the Mukilteo lighthouse and a rocket that relates to Boeing.

Raquel Hart Renander (she/her), Mariner News Section Editor

Mariner High School’s mascot, the killer whale, has been known to represent strength and unity as we work together. But what do we not know about our mascot?

The killer whale is a powerful and intelligent animal, they may seem scary at first but they aren’t as dangerous as they seem. According to Harbor Breeze Cruises, killer whales are not dangerous to humans, the only attacks that have been caused to people were from killer whales in captivity. This is mostly because they are used to being with their family or in a pod, but when they’re trapped in small areas like aquariums, they feel distressed and scared.

This supports the idea of how killer whales represent family and community because they tend to stay in pods as they grow up.

Ms. Pratt, a teacher who has worked at Mariner for 30 years says, “Splash [our mascot] represents a connection to the Pacific Northwest, I think our first principal wanted to keep a connection to the Olympic View pirate so that’s why we’re called the marauders,”

Some people may also wonder how orcas got their nickname Killer Whales. This name can have various meanings but it mostly means, “Killer of whales”. This name soon got shortened to what we know now as killer whales.

Our mascot is a very important part of our school,  once Splash is at an assembly, students and even teachers get motivated to start participating.

“I’ve always liked Splash because he’s silly and the kids think he’s awesome,” Pratt adds.

Our mascot, the killer whale, also represents a lot of the Pacific Northwest. Killer whales are mostly known to live in colder areas of the world like Antarctica, Norway, and Alaska, but they also inhabit and are most studied in areas of the Pacific Northwest. There could be various reasons why they inhabit here, but the most well-known ones are because of their diets, social structure, and the range.

The Whale Trail states that there are 3 different types of orcas in the Pacific Northwest, the residents, transients, and off-shores. The main differences between these killer whales are mostly their diets and where they range. One of the types that aren’t very well known is the off-shore orcas, which are similar to the Transient orcas.

Mascots can resemble the personality and spirit of our school,  but it also holds a lot of the history here as well!

Fun Fact:

Did you know that we also have a second mascot costume? He’s nick-named Lil Drip and he is a recent mascot that came as a gift from the class of 2019.