Ramadan at Mariner

Photo from unsplash free use photos

Sammie Bruton she/her 10th grade, Advertising Manager

Ramadan is a holy month of fasting, prayer, and reflection for Muslims. This year Ramadan started on Saturday, April 2, and ends on Monday, May 2nd. During the month of Ramadan, Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset. Ramadan celebrates the month Prophet Muhammad was granted the Qur’an, Islam’s holy text.

Here at Mariner, many people participate in Ramadan. Mariner provides food-free rooms during lunch that includes, Mrs. Sheikh at E104, Mr. Lakey at E106, and Mrs. Bracken at E241.

Muslims pray five times a day at a set time, which includes Fajr (sunrise prayer), Dhuhr (noon prayer), Asr (afternoon prayer), Maghrib (sunset prayer), and Isha (night prayer). During the month of Ramadan, many feel the importance to pray all five prayers, one being during the school day. Some students that participated in Ramadan requested a way that would allow them to pray Dhuhr, but unfortunately, the school wasn’t able to provide a place for them to do so without it interrupting the normal flow of the school day.

“They wouldn’t let us do our prayer which other schools have allowed me and classmates to do,” said Sophmore Sarah Hasan.

The month of Ramadan is a special and important month for those of the Islam religion. Ramadan brings family and friends together and helps them bond, spend time together, and grow a relationship with Allah (God).

“Ramadan is a pillar in Islam and I feel more connected to my religion during this month,” said Hasan.

After Ramadan, Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr. Eid is a special holiday in the Islam religion, it celebrates the end of the fasting month and Eid means a “festival” or “feast” in Arabic. Eid is a big day to celebrate all the reflection, fasting, and prayer during Ramadan. Eid al-Fitr begins on Monday, May 2nd, and ends on Tuesday, May 3rd.

“We have a prayer in the morning and then my family comes over for a feast,” said Sobia Sheikh, a teacher at Mariner that participates in Ramadan.

Families have different traditions for Eid and Ramadan but the holy month of Ramadan is special to all Muslims and to Islam. Ramadan Mubarak to everyone!