The (Potential) Death of Daylight Savings

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Beautiful sunrise cloudscape (photo from iStock)

Rafael Sanchez (he,him) 9th, Staffer

Daylight savings in the united states is a highly disputed topic, not only now with the Senate having approved the Sunshine Protection act, but even over a hundred years ago in the time of World War I.

the Sunshine Protection Act is a newly proposed bill that would do away with daylight savings. After the Senate unanimously voted for the bill. If this bill makes it through the house of representatives onto the desk and is signed by Joe Biden, daylight savings time would become permanent starting in 2023.

In recent interviews conducted among three different Mariner staff members and various other opinions given by students and teachers alike, the overwhelming consensus regarding daylight savings is that most people don’t enjoy the sudden time change in the spring and fall months. in the words of resident English and special education teacher, Mr. Nichols “It’s just dumb”.

In relation to general disdain, daylight savings also correlates with an uptick in car accidents, strokes, Heart attacks, and late arrivals to school and work. Daylight savings also (in the words of Ms. McNeil) “Contributes to seasonal depression,”. This view is corroborated by a sharp increase in suicides following the first weeks after the change and seeing as there is little to no sunlight in the late hours of the day where there would normally be in the spring and summer months, the brain’s release of the serotonin associated with a boosted mood is decreased.

While today daylight savings time seems almost completely useless and obsolete the original intent behind incorporating daylight savings comes from over a hundred years ago during the time of the allies and central powers, of world war I. Daylight savings was first put into effect by Germany in the year 1916 as a temporary measure put in place to conserve energy and as a way to have more hours of daylight each day. in the coming weeks the UK was the next to follow suit followed by France and the US. As world war, I drew to a close, in most countries in which it had been introduced the daylight savings measure was revoked, however with World War II eventually taking place daylight savings was once again temporarily adopted in countries all over the world.

For the US Daylight savings was introduced as a war measure in the year 1918 only to be rescinded and later reinstated in 1942. Once World War II had ended, states and individual regions were free to choose whether or not to conform to the standards of daylight savings time leading to much confusion among local and state governments across the US. With such sweeping confusion, theĀ  Uniform Time Act of 1966 put daylight savings into place as an annual practice beginning with skipping forwards one hour on the last Sunday of April and ending with time finally falling back on the last Sunday of October.

with all the dangers faced each year in the coming weeks after daylight savings, it seems as though nobody enjoys the change nor do they find it particularly useful, helpful, or productive. with late arrivals, suicides, heart attacks, strokes, and more hazards posed by a deceptively simple time change maybe summing up daylight savings time as a dangerous, incoherent, inconsistent slog to face twice each year isn’t so wrong and baseless after all.