Weekly Sports Recap – Winning Start to the Spring Season

3/15 – 3/21

Jennica Wong

Mariner athletes race in the 1600-meter run.

Aaron Ton (he/him) 10th Grade, Section Editor (Sports)

TRACK & FIELD

At the Everett-Mukilteo Jamboree on March 18, Mariner put up a great performance. Jaquan Means (JR) took first place in both the 110-meter high hurdles and the 400-meter dash with times of 16.29 and 54.53. Mariner’s Boys 4/800 relay team of Julian Nelson-Sellers (SR), Aaron Ton (SO), Nikolas Rice (SO), and Aaron Ly (JR) took first place. Cartez Williams (JR) placed first in the shot put, throwing a distance of 44-09.25.

At the Chuck Randall Invitational on March 19, Zakiya Nunez (JR) placed first in her heat of the 800-meter relay, running a time of 2:48.37.

SOFTBALL

Varsity Softball beat Marysville-Pilchuck High School 5-2 on March 16. Pitcher Alexis Slater’s (SR) 11 strikeouts aided the girl’s win in their opening game of the season. Slater also went 3-3 at-bat, all of them being doubles. Bella Torres (FR) led the team’s scoring with two runs.

On March 18, Varsity beat Shorecrest 11-0. Slater pitched a shutout and took her strikeout count for the season to 25. Sammi Bruton (SO) led the team in runs, scoring 3. Bruton also hit the team’s first home run of the season.

Varsity will play Shorewood High School away from home on Monday, March 21.

SOCCER

Varsity Soccer opened the season with a 2-1 win over Kentwood High School on March 16. They will play Bellevue High School at home on Monday, March 21.

BASEBALL

Varsity Baseball has won a game for the first time in 5 years with a 10-2 victory over Orcas Island High School on March 16. Varsity will play Henry M. Jackson High School away from home on Tuesday, March 22.

GIRLS TENNIS

Varsity lost to Cascade High School 5-2 on March 15. The Marauder’s two wins came from Malina Rattanasithy and Elora Kim, who both won their singles matches. They will play Monroe High School on Wednesday, March 23.