Mariner Boys Swim & Dive Ready For Districts

Northwest Sports Photography

Mariner’s 2021-2022 Boys Swim & Dive Team

Aaron Ton (he/him) 10th Grade, Section Editor (Sports)

At the Snohomish Aquatic Center on February 10 and February 12, Mariner’s best swimmers will compete at the Wesco 4A District Meet. With all of the work and preparation put into the winter season’s practices and meets, the swimmers are looking to record their best times of the year. Mariner has some promising athletes on the swim team this year and they will all look to give it their all at the meet.

“They’re definitely ready physically,” Coach Jennifer Parker-Angelos said. “Things got in the way, like the snow during winter break resulting in canceled practices and guys having to quarantine. We’ve done well with the hand we’ve been dealt.”

Vyron Domingo, a standout freshman on the team, has dominated the 100-yard butterfly and the 200-yard individual medley (IM) this season. Blistering times and many first-place finishes have put him in the number 1 seed at this year’s district meet for the 200 IM. He is also among the fastest swimmers in the 100-yard butterfly at the meet.

“I feel confident; it’s pretty nice to be seeded first (in the 200 IM),” Domingo said. “I’m also seeded sixth or seventh in the 100-fly.”

Considering that he is a freshman, his speed compared to other district swimmers, many of which are upperclassmen, is quite impressive.

In preparation for the meet, Domingo has done a lot of taper, which is to decrease training volume while increasing rest to make sure he is able to perform at his best. Domingo has shown great potential and will continue to be a key varsity swimmer for Mariner for the next few years.

“It’s pretty exciting to race and compete (in districts),” he said. “I think I’ll be able to make state.”

Itzack Tambanua, a junior, will compete in the 100-yard breaststroke and the 50-yard freestyle. Tambanua’s speedy times throughout the season put him in a good position to do well at the meet.

“Although COVID has hindered our progress, the team is looking solid and we are doing well,” he said. “For the 100-yard breaststroke, I’m hoping to place in the top 6.”

The team’s two senior captains, Matthew Meisner and Dominic Cruz-Estrada, are both optimistic about the meet.

“I’m pretty confident about how we’re going to perform at the meet. The team is preparing well and they’re setting themselves up for success,” Meisner said. “We’re all aiming to PR.”

Meisner will be swimming in the 100-yard freestyle and is on two of the relay teams. He also will be competing at the 4A District Dive Meet, which is on the 9th of February.

Cruz-Estrada will be swimming the 100-yard freestyle and the 100-yard breaststroke. He, like Meisner, is also on two relay teams.

“I’ve been preparing myself for (my) races,” Cruz-Estrada said. “I’m excited to see what I can do.”

Other swimmers who will be competing at the meet include juniors Jonathan Kim, Rogelio Jamero XII, and Aaron Ly, sophomores Dylan Bui, Aaron Ton, Ariel Calderon, and Fernando Tejada, and freshman Felix Bonilla.

“In regards to district finals,” Parker-Angelos said. “I think quite a few guys have a shot.”