Weekly Sports Recap – Mighty Mariner High

2/2 – 2/12

Mariner Yearbook Staff

Forward Dakota Joseph (SR) makes a powerful dunk against the Knights.

Aaron Ton (he/him) 10th Grade, Section Editor (Sports)

BOYS BASKETBALL

Mariner has won their first league title since 2003! The Marauders beat Kamiak High School 65-51 to become Wesco 4A champions and entered into the 4A District 1/2 Tournament as Wesco’s top seed. Tijan Saine (SR) and Naser Motley (SR) led the Marauders offensively, with Saine getting 23 points and Motley getting 20. Jailin Johnson (JR) also added 14 points. Mariner’s game against Jackson High School on February 12 ultimately ended up in a narrow loss of 62-57, but they will play in the consolation bracket of the tournament against North Creek High School.

GIRLS BASKETBALL

Varsity lost 70-53 in the away game against Kamiak on February 2nd. Despite the loss, Kyairra Roussin (FR) had an impressive performance, leading the Marauders with 20 points. Angela Rodriguez-Frias (JR) also played well, scoring 14 points.

Against Cascade High School, which was away from home on Thursday, February 3, Mariner emerged victorious with a 51-31 win. Dominant defensive play was key in the victory, with the Marauders making 16 steals and a block.

BOYS SWIM

Boys Swim competed in the Wesco 4A District Meet on February 12-14. Vyron Domingo (FR) placed first in the 200 IM finals with a time of 2:03.55 and will compete in the state meet on February 17-19.

Matthew Meisner (SR) won the B finals of the 100-yard freestyle with a sub-57 second finish.

BOYS WRESTLING

Angel Ramos (SO) placed 5th in Regionals and will head to the state championships as an alternate.

GIRLS WRESTLING

Alondra Gonzalez (SR) placed 5th in Regionals and will head to the state championships as an alternate.