Mariner High School – Miscellaneous Things To Know

Mariner High School in Everett, Washington.

SmartAn01 from Wikimedia Commons

Aaron Ton (he/him) 10th Grade, Section Editor (Sports)

Mariner High School is attended by a culturally diverse body of over 2,200 students. Opened on September 8, 1970, it has a rich history spanning over 50 years and counting. Many people are involved in the Mariner community; whether it be to learn, to educate, to care, or to serve. This school has had numerous events and things in its history that are lesser-known or have faded from our community’s memory. Mariner has many hidden gems of knowledge that are intriguing and fun to know.

In 1989, Mariner was chosen as one of 25 American schools for an exchange program with the Soviet Union as per one of the agreements made by U.S. President Ronald Reagan and General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union Mikhail Gorbachev at the 1988 Moscow Summit. 10 Soviet students visited Mariner in January 1989 for one month, and 10 Mariner students visited the Soviet Union later in the spring.

Mariner’s campus was designed by William Arild Johnson & Associates. The initial construction, including building materials and land purchase, cost nearly 5 million dollars. A swimming pool, an outside study deck on the second floor, and a modern instructional center were included in its inaugural year.

On October 10, a month after the September 11 attacks and during the 2001 anthrax attacks, Mariner was evacuated after pepper spray was released into the school’s ventilation system. Health complaints from students included coughing, itchy eyes, and sore throat. 30 Mariner students were sent to Providence Everett Medical Center. Luckily, no students or staff were majorly injured or affected.

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation selected Mariner as one of 16 schools for the Washington State Achievers Program in 2001. Mariner received a grant of over 1 million dollars and an addition of 28 classrooms, which were designed by the DLR Group.