COVID Impacts Teachers and Their Personal Lives

Mr. Smith (Left) Mrs. Pontius (Right)

Tationna Russell (she/her) c/o 2024, Editor Chief

As we all know, COVID has impacted many people’s lives, and not everyone has had a chance to explain their story, especially teachers. It’s important to let teachers know that their mental health is always considered a priority. We want them to know that they have a voice here at Marnier as well. We don’t want teachers to feel like they need to be hushed all the time; their voices matter just as much as the students.

When COVID hit back in 2020, many teachers, students, parents, etc., were affected. Now it’s time to hear the teachers’ stories and how they handled everything all at once, especially with having younger kids in the house.

Having kids in the house during a pandemic and not going anywhere has ups and downs. Some people think it’s fun being able to stay at home with their children and bond more with their family, and some may feel like it’s not fun at all.

“Quarantine wasn’t hard for me because my kids are little, so I was fine there. It was hard because on the day that schools closed, I was home with my daughter that was sick, so I wasn’t there for my students that day, and I felt guilty that they just left. I never even got to say goodbye, so I just felt sad about that,” said MHS 10th grade World History teacher Jennifer Pontius.

When COVID became the massive outbreak it is now, many people went buck wild and stocked up on household supplies, food, and even clothing. It was like people believed it was the end of the world. It was hard to find full cases of water, toilet paper, or other household supplies you needed. Many stores even had to cut back on how many items a customer could purchase. Everyone was in panic mode.

“I told my husband I was going to go to the grocery store, and he was like don’t go, and panic buys, just be a normal person. I’m like, okay, I’ll do it right, and when I got to the grocery store, something was terrifying about seeing empty selves, and then I started panic buying because I got scared,” said Pontius.

It’s expected as a human being to feel worried seeing all these empty shelves and buying unnecessary things; your mind automatically makes people go into panic mode when it comes to situations like that.

Teachers were affected badly with having to quarantine unexpectedly, especially at the most random time one minute everything is fine and then the next everyone is getting laid off and everyone is having to stay indoors for a while, and having children in the home can be a big struggle (mainly if the child is under the age of 6), having to teach a class and then having to take care of your kid(s) can be pretty annoying and stressful.

“I’d say the first week of being home was kinda nice, spending time with family and doing activities together. But then as the weeks and months started to dive on we started to get some cabin fever so definitely it was tough and we live in a pretty small house so it was hard,” said MHS 10th grade Biology teacher Ethan Smith.

It’s understandable to think nothing was gonna get resolved or at least under control because at the time nobody was trying to think of the positive, people kinda just started to think more negatively about the whole situation.

“I feel like there were certain months that were kinda scary to even go and see a family member because it was like “are we gonna get them sick or are we gonna get sick”, we were worried because we didn’t want anyone getting sick,” said Smith.