Mariner High School Mid-Season Sports Recap

Ximena Ulloa Sanchez

Quarterback Damien Bagley (JR) drops back for a pass

Miguel Hernandez (He,Him), Advertising Specialist/Staffer

FOOTBALL

The team had a great start to their 2021-2022 football season, winning their opening game for the first time in nine years. They went on to win their next two games against Cascade High School and Shorewood High School, along with a forfeit win against Meadowdale High School. Unfortunately, they have lost their last three games to Monroe High School, Glacier Peak High School, and Lake Stevens High School.

Head Coach Mark Stewart was asked how he thought the season was going. “All sports have come off an unusual break and we’ve had a group of guys that are out there working hard, and we had a nice start to the season going 3-0… but the season is going well and we still got everything right in front of us, and we got Kamiak this week,” he said.

Mariner has a current record of 4-3. The team has faced a lot of injuries, but many players are on their way back to make this team even better. They are looking forward to breaking their losing streak and they hope to win their next two district games for a chance to make a playoff appearance for the first time since 2016.

GIRLS SOCCER

The program has found some success in their 2021-2022 season with a record of 2-10-1. The team won their first game since the 2017-2018 season against Sultan High School with a score of 5-0.  The team got their second win against Friday Harbor High School, beating them 5-1. The program has struggled in the last few years but it seems like it is starting to improve; the team has scored a total of 12 goals, the most they have scored since the 2011-2012 season.

Head coach Nikki Bowlden provided input on how she thinks the team is doing this year. “My team is finding a lot of success in meeting the goals we are setting for each of our games. Each girl sets a personal goal and a team goal for every game… they can meet those goals individually and as a whole,” Bowlden said.

The team is doing better and they hope to accomplish more for the program.

VOLLEYBALL

A new coaching staff has come in for the 2021-2022 season and they have found some success with a current record of 3-6, considering their best record in the last 13 years has been 5-20-1 in the 2014-2015 season.

This team is on pace to end the season with the best win percentage in the last 13 years. The new coaching staff has seemed to work, and many players have spoken very highly of them. We hope this team can continue making improvements.

CROSS COUNTRY

For our Cross Country team, they have had a pretty good season for only having 28 kids on the roster, compared to other teams in 4a Wesco that have 60-100 kids on their cross country team. Our Mariner cross country team has the least amount of member in 4a but have made improvements.

Head Coach Dave Mcfadden was asked for some input on the team’s success ” Well we’re doing well when you look at our group everyone’s been improving, the seniors have run the best times that they have ever run….. there running well but we’re hoping that this upcoming week everyone runs their best times ever in the 5k,” he said.

Out of all 28 kids in our Mariner cross country team, only 4 kids will go to the district meet to compete for a chance to go to the state meet 2 boys and 2 girls. Coach Dave Mcfadden says that there are currently 6 kids competing for those spots. Whoever those 4 kids are that go to the district have to place 35 out of 80 other kids to go to state. Hopefully, they all do their best and have a chance to compete in the state meet.