Homecoming 2021 Recap

Photo+courtesy+to+yearbook+staff++

Photo courtesy to yearbook staff

Sammie Bruton (she/her) 10th grade , Advertising Manager

Mariner celebrated its 52nd homecoming recently, but this year it looked a little different. When you think of homecoming you think of dances, celebrations, football games, spirit week and so much more. For the past two years, this is not what homecoming has looked like, with restrictions we have not been able to get together and celebrate. 

For the class of ’25 and ’24, this is their first “homecoming” experience. Due to all the limitations, homecoming could be considered successful but the loss of our dance is what made this year so different. The homecoming dance is usually the first big event of the school year and what many people look forward to from the first day of school, only 2 out of 4 classes at Mariner have had a real homecoming. 

“This was the second year in a row where we’ve had no dance and this year was supposed to be a makeup year,” says sophomore Elsie Rudberg. 

Having your first and second homecoming taken away can be disappointing. Several sophomores and freshmen feel they were robbed from this big high school experience. 

“I thought my first homecoming would have more school spirit and I expected to have a dance that brought everyone together,” says sophomore Julianna Castellón. 

Without a dance, many felt they had nothing to look forward to and get excited for. Your first homecoming is supposed to be an important and memorable experience, for the class of ’25, this was one to remember.

Freshman Estrella Urrutia feels that Mariner was a happy environment during homecoming and she “love[s] having spirit weeks and the excitement of homecoming games.”

For our upperclassmen, this can feel like a big takeaway. The juniors have only had one homecoming with this being their third year in high school. This dance was supposed to bring normality back to Mariner but most feel it was just another week. 

“I definitely think we could have tried to make everything work while staying covid safe,” said junior Blythe Gorham. 

Considering this was the class of 22’s last homecoming, seniors were having a variety of emotions. 

“I was excited about my senior year homecoming experience but that got cut short and you never get that again,” said senior Ava Rudberg. 

Putting together a homecoming in a pandemic is very difficult and had many limitations. The leadership II class is a fairly new group of students so this was all new to them too, they came together and put on this year’s homecoming events. 

“We tried to incorporate the big elements that everyone’s involved in,” said Emmalee McNeil, Leadership II advisor. 

Another main thing that was missing this year was the assembly that introduced the homecoming court. Since we couldn’t have an assembly to announce our homecoming court Mariner decided to increase the size of the homecoming court. 

“We wanted more people to understand who Mariner is and all the clubs we have so we can create that sense of being home again,” McNeil said. 

This year’s homecoming court included someone representing each club and sport, along with one person representing each of our core values. Our core values are resilience, family, respect, and inclusivity. Having more people involved in the homecoming court shows how inclusive Mariner is and how much of a family we are. Although this year’s homecoming was disappointing to some and more difficult to set up with so many regulations, homecoming 2021 was successful in many ways.