How’s Quarantine for you?

Q and A with Mariner Staff and Students

Sasha Ornelas, Staffer

Has quarantine been quite eventful for you? Quarantine has been quite a unique experience for all of us. We’ve each had our ups and downs throughout the past 11 months. And at times, you feel isolated from the outside world. Literally and physically. You can feel alone. But I’m here to tell you that you aren’t. Many people also feel the same. They each have their own story and struggle to tell. Some that you yourself may relate to. Whether it be your teacher, your friends, or even strangers that you know nothing about. Here, I’ll share some of the negatives and positives that have come from Mariner teachers and students.
Virtual learning is difficult. We’ve gone from going to school and interacting with
classmates in a classroom setting to at-home learning. When asked what type of challenges
they faced in digital learning, the synonymous answer seemed to be difficult to engage in lessons. One quote from a student states,“ I have to get hands-on learning and
actually see instead of staring at a screen all day, so it’s difficult for me actually to stay focused.
I’m always so distracted, especially because I’m at home.” Interacting and paying attention in class is tough. We have home distractions at every corner of our room, and engaging can be tough due to the lack of communication with teachers and other students. This could lead to why most students and teachers answered that they preferred in-person learning instead of virtual learning.
In a time like this, mental health is important. We have lacked many needs that we
used to do in our daily lives that now you can’t do. That is why it is imperative that you have to find something that can keep you going or maintain hope until you can resume your daily life. These things can be small tasks or activities that can brighten your day. For example, another student said, “I take naps, I stare outside the window, and make sure that I get myself to eat and drink every day. Then incorporate a little bit of exercise here and there.” Like this student, find ways to keep your mental/physical state a little better. Take some walks, keep healthy relations with those around you, and do things that you enjoy. Do what you need to make you happy. If you need help that you cannot relieve by these methods, there are many outlets out there that you can console to aid you hopefully, so take a look.
Covid-19 has taken an entire year away from things that we did every day or even
looked forward to in the future during school. For teachers, it could be seeing the excitement on a child’s face while learning or, for us, being able to participate in extracurricular activities. A teacher here at Mariner, Ms.Lemker, stated,” I think we missed out on social interaction, which for me as an extrovert is how I recharge my batteries, so it has taken a toll on my mental well- being not to be around people.” She also described the type of environment she had witnessed at school before the quarantine. “ My favorite part of the day was walking into the building, and there’s always someone at the door greeting you, and then you walk to your classroom and the way there you. And we have a lot of groups and students who- their breakdancing in the hallway. Their dancing, their singing, and it’s just really beautiful to see all this humanity, and I miss that.”
We have covered a lot of reminiscing from fellow students and classmates. Now it’s time
to see and ask what people look forward to soon when things become a little more normal. Some people look forward to the little things we can come back to. Mr. Mar says,” I look forward to meeting up with friends and family and just hanging out.” A member of Mariner’s student body explains.” Honestly, I would say school because it’s like a getaway. And we can get to see everyone and socialize.” A big similarity most people can agree on is that they miss the interaction with others. Even if you don’t like it as much or you’re an introvert, it is nice to see other people now and then.
Both students and teachers here at Mariner had an anecdote of their own experience
dealing with their troubles during quarantine and what they hoped for in the future. Though they may not be identical to yours, they may show you are not completely alone in what you may be feeling or going through. Whether you are a student or teacher, there is someone out there that you can relate to and understand their perspective. So don’t feel too down. Schools are opening up soon, and we will all soon be returning to our daily lives almost identical to how they were before. Many of the struggles you are currently facing concerning quarantine will also be resolved. Keep your chin up, wear a mask, and it will be better soon.