Ask Gabby: I Don’t Know What I Want to Be When I Grow Up? Should I Be Concerned?

Gabriela Castaneda, Staffer

The average lifespan of a human is seventy-nine years. If you live in the US where education is mandatory, then about twelve to thirteen of those years are spent in a school. After those thirteen dreadful years of primary education, you have the option to either continue to post-secondary education or a career. Either way, this decision is quite tricky, and many high school and college students are still confused over what they “want to be when they grow up.” 

I mean, it is a pretty difficult decision to make. Some programs are supposedly out there to “help” you find a sense of belonging in a career. However, it is possible to become even more lost than where you started. 

Luckily, every adult- scratch that, every employed adult that follows the laws and pays taxes and things of that nature, will agree that they were also super confused at this time. 

Now, onto solutions…

There are many career-based programs and volunteer opportunities at MHS and outside of school; this could be through clubs, such as DECA, or even joining a technology class. 

In case education  is not something you want to pursue in the future. Sno- Isle is an excellent example of a path-finder while in high school. 

By exploring different programs, clubs, and sports, you may be able to find different career paths that you enjoy. This is because the very nature of broadening your horizons helps you build connections. By going out and exploring – whether that be doing volunteer work or participating in clubs and sports – you will be able to get a taste of what interests you. 

If you are looking for a career that you love and will be passionate about forever – first off, that is unrealistic, sorry to break the news to you. Sometimes your career and your job title might not add up, just as sometimes the subjects you choose to study in college might not be preparing you for your future job. This is all to say that your interests in specific fields of work may change over time, and this is a very healthy thing for many people. You very well may study to become a scientist and end up being a high school English teacher. To be quite honest, I have not heard of this happening, but I’m sure it has happened before. 

However, it is still imperative to explore and take on volunteer opportunities. You might be able to get insight into different options for your future that you may not have even considered. Moral of this story is: exploration is key. 

Also, please keep in mind that you do not need to go to college to be successful. Entering the workforce right out of high school is another option in case college is not the right fit for you.

For those of you who don’t want a “normal job” like an accountant or a lawyer, there are other alternative forms of employment. National Geographic writers and photographers, Cosmetologists, and firefighters are good examples of non-corporate jobs, which you may find more appealing than a regular office job. 

Opinions, opinions, opinions. In the midst of it all, please remember to go out and actually explore different career options, you might find them fun and worthwhile. As long as you investigate as much as you can in your high school years, you will eventually find something that suits you. So please, do not stress out over this right now, everything will come in time- trust.