A Tribute to Kobe Bryant

Kya Nethercot, Editor in Chief

“Pain doesn’t tell you when you ought to stop. Pain is the little voice in your head that tries to hold you back because it knows if you continue, you will change.”

– Kobe Bryant

It can be extremely difficult to lose a role model, but his words can help guide us through the pain of his passing. His perseverance can inspire us to keep moving forward and embrace our personal challenges. 

If anyone knew about perseverance, it was Kobe Bryant. Being a four-time All-Star Game MVP, a three-time BET sportsman of the year, and a member of 12 All-Defensive Teams, Kobe faced many challenges- but it wasn’t just his accomplishments that we all admired. It was his bold, blatant dismissal of those who doubted him, his dedication to the game, and his drive to be the best. 

In memory of his achievements, his contributions, and his character, Kobe fans shared their feelings about his passing and the most memorable things about him.

Long-time local fan, Andreu Leonard said, “Kobe cared only about bettering himself and others. He gave everyone motivation and drive for basketball. He gave us such a good example of how to improve mentally and physically. He was really a champion in all walks of life.”

He went on to say, “Kobe’s whole career really affected me. He had nothing but love for where he was from and who he was surrounded by. He really gave back to his city, organization, and family. Everything he did prove how great he was.”

Kobe’s death affected so many people. Mariner student Kamal Erdi, who came to school wearing a Lakers jersey in honor of his passing, was one of them. Erdi solemnly said, “It’s tough. It’s like he changed the game of basketball forever. Growing up, we always threw papers into the trash like ‘Kobe.’ He was really important growing up.”

Erdi mentioned, “One of the biggest things I remember was him going head to head with Steph Curry and tore his Achilles and just kept going.”

Mariner student Dalila Habul was also emotional about Bryant’s death. “It’s very sad because, like, you never know what’s going to happen. It just makes me feel like I will never know what’s going to happen tomorrow. I could lose one of my friends. It’s so shocking, and it’s just very sad for him and everyone in the crash.”

Mariner coach and physical education teacher Joshua Olson provided his unique perspective saying, “I just think it’s a huge loss for the sports world in general, not to mention a huge loss for a lot of families involved. With as much as he did for the world and for sports and the NBA, for everything he was involved in, he’s going to be very much missed.”

He will be missed, especially by the family, he leaves behind. His wife and his three daughters mourn the loss of a spouse and a father. They also tragically lost young Gianna Bryant, who was only 13 years old. 

Mariner physical education teacher Michelle Marklund expresses this sentiment saying, “It’s tragic, not only for his loss but also for the loss of his daughter and the other people who were in the helicopter.

“It was really tragic. He was a role model for all professional athletes through his level of professionalism as a player. He was also a role model for many up-and-coming players and coaches,” Marklund concluded.