Could You Not: Deadline Diehards

Kya Nethercot, Editor in Chief

Dear Deadline Diehards, 

The next time you think that it’s a good idea to set a deadline for the same date as an essential student event, could you not? I agree, having a “set date” for students to turn in work is important, but setting it on an ACT date, a college application deadline, or the day of a school dance or major activity and then refusing to accommodate those circumstances is inconsiderate. 

Expecting students to put your work above other responsibilities is, quite frankly, a little ridiculous. Most teachers are flexible if a student lets them know that they have other obligations, but everyone knows that one teacher that has little to no consideration for what’s going on in their students’ lives. 

Why? Aren’t you supposed to be preparing students for their futures instead of being an obstacle for them? I don’t understand the logic behind it. I mean, yes, if your students don’t let you know what’s going on until after a deadline, then that’s on them, but if your student lets you know in advance, why punish them?

I’ll tell you this much, if my teacher refuses to be flexible with me about a deadline that I told them was going to be problematic, then I will feel no remorse when I turn the assignment in late. 

My life outside of school, matters. I’m sure you, as a teacher, have a life outside of school. Students need to have a work-life balance as much as teachers do.

Adults go to work and then come home to their family lives. Why are we expected to go to school then go back only to neglect our home life, just to keep up with every assignment you give us? How are we supposed to find time to keep up with other commitments like college and career preparation. Moreover, what about students who have jobs, care for their siblings, or maintain their home in other ways? 

On top of all that, how are we supposed to develop social skills if we never get time to go out or participate in leisure activities. I honestly cannot recall the last time I was able to hang out with friends outside of school without working on homework. How am I supposed to forge deep connections if I can never give someone my undivided attention?

What about school dances? Football games? All the moments that you are supposed to be able to look back on when you’re older? Am I not allowed to have those because you don’t think they’re as important as your busy work?

Please, in the future, think about your own high school experience. What would be more important to you as a high school student: your relationships with your friends and family, the obligations that affect your future career, or that single assignment that won’t have any knowledge applicable to your life outside of school whatsoever?

With this in mind, next time, could you not?