Mariner’s Veterans on Staff

Senior Mayvellyne Segura-Gonzalez plays taps at Veteran’s Day Assembly

Kya Nethercot, Editor in Chief

With Veteran’s Day right around the corner, it’s crucial that we acknowledge a typically overlooked group of people: our veteran staff members. Although their service typically remains unknown, their dedication can be seen in everything they do, especially the work they do with students. 

Veteran and paraeducator Gregory Green is an excellent example of this. He devoted 21 ½ years to the Marine Corps and ten years working with children with disabilities. This shows the passion and stick-to-itiveness that he’s known for. 

This stick-to-itiveness was essential to overcoming the challenges that Green faced in the military. He said two of the hardest parts were the “amount of time put into the job, being away from family” and that with “every new place [he was deployed] came a new job and a new way of doing things.”

The fact that Green was able to do so many different jobs proves his adaptability, which was vital in switching from the armed forces to educating. 

Another skill that was transferable between Green’s time in the Marines and educating was the understanding of different cultures that traveling provided to him. “I use my understanding of the world from the military to help me understand the diversity [at Mariner],” he said. 

According to Green, “traveling and getting to see as much as I did” was one of the most rewarding parts of being involved in the Marine Corp. Being a proud father, he also said that one of the other most rewarding parts was that “If I didn’t [join the Marines], I wouldn’t have met my wife, and I never would have had my kids.”

Veteran Jeffrey Schmidt pointed to other rewarding aspects of being a part of the Marines, the brotherhood. He said, “[the Marines] were like a family [to him].” 

Many veterans point to the sense of support and belonging they feel in the Marines as one of its main selling points. Brothers in arms would do anything for each other, and that is the sense of connection that Schmidt was looking for.

But being a part of the Marine Corp comes with its trials. The most challenging part, according to Schmidt, was “probably the mental piece of it. Getting up at 4:45 every morning. The physical endurance of it, the mind over matter piece, just the physical exertion and then still having to be intellectually ready to do your job whichever it might be, whether it’s wartime or peacetime. Having to have that mental edge on a regular basis whether you’re rested or you’re tired it’s not easy. To hike 25 miles and then engage in some type of exercise or any kind of thinking process causes your mind to get tired.”

Being a part of the original desert storm desert shield was challenging, but it developed his endurance and his strength as a person. This led him to inspire students to build their endurance as well when he was a football coach. His devotion to students is shown every day as he works one on one with his students. 

Overall, both of these veterans deserve to be recognized for the hard work and dedication they put in every day and for the courage it took for them to serve our country.