Why do schools serve milk instead of water?

Angela Cruz, Photographer

You’re in line waiting to get lunch after you picked your choice on what you’re going to eat, you get your milk carton and sit and began to eat, but do ever wonder why schools serve milk instead of water? Isn’t kind of gross to eat a pizza with milk?

It all started with the Education Act of 1944. The authorities were required to provide milk with meals for students under the age of 5. That change in 1946 in all schools to all students under the age of 18 provided to drink milk with meals. 

It is said that schools serve milk because it’s required to keep you healthy; your bones need milk to get stronger. Milk also includes vitamin D and vitamin K, so you’ll be able to have enough energy during school hours. Also, it’s a good thing for schools, according to the government. In a CNN article, it was said that “when schools serve milk, they receive money,” which means when schools have enough money, schools will have enough money for field trips, school supplies, school plays, clubs, etc.

But you might be wondering why not use water instead? Well, my friend, if schools gave out water, then they wouldn’t get as much money to afford anything in general. The same CNN article claimed that “making water more accessible to children at school increases consumption of water,” and it’s free, but not for milk.