!Senior Quotes!

Javier C. Silva, Assistant Sports Editor

Over the last few years at Mariner, the Yearbook Club has gone back and forth on the decision to include senior quotes in the class yearbook. Last year, there were problems with inappropriate senior quotes in the yearbook. This caused Principal Nate DuChesne to officially decide that there will not be quotes this year, causing significant disputes between administration and seniors. Yearbook Advisor, Wendy MacDonald, has worked at Mariner since 2001 and has seen how the yearbook has slowly evolved into something that the students and staff all enjoy.

MacDonald explained that her yearbook class has been trying to keep the quotes appropriate for the past several years. However, every year, “something always gets by us [students in yearbook and administrators].” And for that reason, MacDonald and the administrators have decided not to have senior quotes in the yearbook because it is not “worth our reputation.”

After this decision, the students at Mariner considered it to be “unfair” or “harsh” towards everyone. Eventually, some students decided not only to have petitions signed to get quotes back into the yearbook but also to have a meeting with MacDonald and DuChesne about the whole situation.

During the meeting, MacDonald and DuChesne answered questions and listened to suggestions that the students had to offer. DuChesne asked the students that participate at the meeting questions ,such as: “Why do you guys think senior quotes are important,” “How do we define what’s offensive or not,” “How do we know if the quote doesn’t have a hidden meaning,” and “What if only a small percentage of people get the quote?”

DuChesne said that he wants the quotes to be meaningful, not something negative like, “I skipped first period every day, and I still got an A.” He also doesn’t want the quotes to be “too fluffy,” but this caused some students to question what would be considered “too fluffy.”

So, this leads to the question: What is a tolerable quote? Students suggested a clear guideline to help seniors know what an “appropriate” quote is and what is not. If the quote is in the “gray area,” then that person will be required to either find an alternative quote or explain why they chose that quote, to begin with.

If all else fails, MacDonald says, “We are talking about some things students can do, we have not approved them yet, but we’re thinking about bringing back the ‘grad ads.’ Kind of like the dedications, you know, that parents buy? And we’re talking about greatly reducing the price. That way, they can have quotes, baby pictures, friends, they can do their shoutouts, and we’re thinking about as low as $15 they can buy a little spot in the yearbook to do that.”

MacDonald said, “I believe [the student] heart is in the right place, but I don’t think they know how much trouble senior quotes have brought.” Last year, the quotes were tough for the yearbook class, it took them a long time to type quotes out and to get the quotes checked. 

MacDonald also said, “I understand their passion, and I’m hoping that seniors will come together and find an alternative to senior quotes or accept our alternative.”