Dress Code Beneficial Or Superficial?

Emmanuel Barriga Gonzalez Rey, Staffer

Dress code has been a debated topic between students and administration for decades. Will there ever be a middle ground? 

In the opinion of Mariner Assistant Principal Rebecca Porter, having a dress code is beneficial for students at school and beyond. Most importantly, “the dress code is for students’ safety,” Porter said.

Porter believes the dress code’s purpose is to set expectations for “future endeavors because everywhere you go, there will be rules or expectations you need to follow” in regards to attire. 

In many jobs and careers, there are dress codes. Chemists, doctors, lawyers, and construction workers have specific attire they have to wear for their jobs. These expectations are not simply to limit the freedom of the workforce; it’s for safety and professional reasons. In the same sense, the school dress code is not purely to restrict students; it’s meant to be a way to prepare students for the real world.   

The Mariner Dress code even excludes some sports team apparel, nine teams overall. The administrators claim that there are some specific teams whose colors and logos are connected to gang-related activities.

Many Mariner students agree that the dress code has some merit. Junior Josh Bihasa thinks that having a dress code prevents students from wearing distracting or inappropriate clothing in school.

But, these rules may still be too restrictive. Bihasa said, “Some students wear clothes to express their identity,” Bihasa went on to explain, “some clothes that are not allowed at school are arbitrarily banned without proof that they will distract or be harmful to students.”  

Some schools have explored other options to deal with the dress code debate. One of the most popular solutions is the school uniform. 

Bihasa and Mariner Admin can agree on one thing; Uniforms aren’t the answer.  “The uniform will eliminate students’ cultural identity,” Bihasa said.

Uniforms may solve all of the problems the dress code is trying to address, but they will eliminate the representation of the diversity that makes Mariner what it is. Porter agreed, saying uniforms “eliminate students’ choice, character, and culture.”