The Hallway Traffic

Angela Cruz, Photographer

Mariner high school has a lot of students; this means when it’s passing period, lunchtime, or when school is over, there is a large magnitude of students out in the hallway. 

Mariner junior, Jose Cruz, says that when he walks from one class to another, he always has the same problem.“When I walk in the hallway, I feel very squished.” 

Students, during passing times in the hallway, don’t move. They often stand in the middle of the hall, talking to their friends and not getting to class. Yeah, we get it, you want to talk to your crush, but people are trying to get to class, my Jesus.

Mariner freshman, Sherlyn Pantoja, has had similar issues but takes it in stride, ”When others in front of me walk slow I don’t really mind because they’re pretty tired or they had a rough day so yeah. I walk slowly when I’m pretty tired.”

But it’s not just students that have to deal with the crowded hallway problem; teachers also get annoyed walking in the hallways. 

Mariner teacher, Colton Keibler, has to travel to different classrooms around campus to teach his Algebra class. The crowding doesn’t concern him as much. 

Keibler explains, ”I am more concerned about the fact that our large student population means we don’t have enough classrooms and traveling teachers, who have to adapt their teaching, organization, and materials to travel during passing time.” 

Keibler understands the frustration, though. “Students might get a little frustrated during passing time, but once they are learning in their classroom, the hallway traffic should just be a memory. 

So, for the sake of education, and all those around you, walk faster in the hallways because, yes, education is being impacted by your sluggishness.