Meet Mr. Nick Angelos!

Maxine MItchell, Staffer

Teachers fall in love with their schools. Nicholas Angelos is no different. Angelos is the longest-tenured teacher at  Mariner, working there for thirty-two years and has been deeply involved with many school activities over his career. Though officially hired in the 90-91 school year, Angelos has been at Mariner since 1988, starting with completing his student-teaching.

Mariner is a family affair for the Angelos’; both he and his wife teach, and all of their children have attended. He has seen the school as it has changed over the years, shifting from a primarily white student body to the diverse environment we see now. He recounts his time spent here with delight, telling stories about school tradition and all of the pride it exuded.

“I like the students at Mariner High School; I like the interaction I have with them; I like the relationships I develop with them,” he said. The reason why he has taught here for so long is that he “believe[s] that [he] can make a difference in their (the students’) lives.” 

It also helps that he has been heavily involved in the school. He was the junior class adviser for twenty-seven years, the DECA advisor for fifteen years, and the advisor of a multitude of sports, including being the assistant football coach for two years, the assistant swim coach for ten years, and coaching girls basketball for eight years. Right now, he hosts the horticulture club with his wife and is the boys’ basketball advisor.

He started his career here as a history teacher, teaching it for seventeen years, but currently, he teaches all the marketing and business courses. He has been the head of many departments, including eleven years of leadership, and has been around ten principals throughout his stay.

He comes from a business background, owning a small local food cart business with his younger brother. It grew and operated out of the Seattle Center from 1994 to 2006. He attributes this experience to his success with the student store, of which he runs like a business. He wants his students to have that experience themselves so that they can get used to a real-world environment.

“I’m extremely proud of what we’ve accomplished with the student store,” he said. 

He has taken charge of the student store since 2003, bringing it up from ruins, a place the district was ready to shut down, into one of the best student stores in the country. 

“It had theft, vandalism, was losing money, all sorts of problems.” Under his direction, the store has won the top award from DECA thirteen years in a row, placing in the international top ten for student stores five times.

Despite all of his involvement in the school and his achievements, however, he didn’t always want to become a teacher. He joked that if you told his high school self that he’d become a teacher, he would’ve laughed. He’d gone through life set on going into business and went through three years of college with this in mind. There was something about young people and helping them grow into successful adults, though, that made him shift career path after a few years.

“I like the opportunity to help people become young adults and to get to the next level in life, so they can find success.”