Resurrection of Mariner’s Newspaper Production

Valerie Diep, Staffer

Newspaper Production seems to be a new class added to the Mariner registry this year, but that couldn’t be farther from the truth. Though unknown to the student population, it has been around for many years, reaching back to, and preceding 1991. The last class, however, was held in 2016, which was taught by Wendy MacDonald, who is currently advising Yearbook. The class size dwindled to one student, who they combined with Yearbook.

In an interview with Nate DuChesne, he explained that the issue with the previous Newspaper Production class was that it was out of date. It still printed out physical articles, when the population was moving more towards a more digitized environment. 

The revitalization of Newspaper Production, Mr. DuChesne explained, was from “Mr. Beachy coming forward with [an] online newspaper idea.” Mr. DuChesne was drawn to that because he thought “more students and families will read it if it’s online.” 

What will improve Newspaper Production, according to Mr. Beachy and Mr. DuChesne, is by digitizing it all. However, what is the importance of having a student-run newspaper in the first place? 

Mariner is always trying to find ways to get students more involved in “activities, clubs, sports—something other than just academics… so the online news is a way to get information out to students to get them more involved in what we’re doing at Mariner,” DuChesne said.

Most of the news that the school gives out is through the school website, the letters, and emails that the principal sends out, and the daily announcements that students receive. The hope for the new revitalized class is that it will allow students to take some ownership of what goes on at Mariner. 

“This is giving students a voice to get information out in their perspectives,” Mr. DuChesne commented.

On the topic of giving students voices, there has been an arising concern about writing controversial articles. Students have thought about ideas, such as how school district borderlines are drawn and much more involving possible politics. 

There may be existing concerns about how responsible students are with such a powerful tool. Will students focus on gossip? 

He supported the idea of controversy. “If it’s healthy dialogue and opinions, I think we need that. It provides a platform for [students] with some structure around it with adults around to make sure that it stays within the guidelines. But I think it’s important that students have an opportunity to voice their concerns and opinions, and I think it’s healthy.” 

As this is a fresh new page for Newspaper Production, students must establish a standard, an aim in their work, this includes “getting accurate news out,” focusing on “high interests,” and “bringing up topics that need to be discussed.” Our main goal for the newspaper is to provide a definite outlet for voices that haven’t been able to be heard. 

“Our mission statement [is that] all Mariner students who graduate are prepared for post-secondary pathways, careers, and civic engagement,” Mr. DuChesne declared, “This is an engagement piece that I think we’re missing at Mariner right now. I’m hoping that, in the future, more and more students will be involved in this… and more and more students will read the newspaper.”